Show your dog you love them with this awesome recipe by The Cookie Rookie!
For the Dog Treats
- 2 & 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the Frosting
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3-4 tablespoons hot water
- Baking sheet
- Rolling pin
- Piping tip set
- Cookie cutter (bonus points if it's a dog bone)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and the egg. Add the peanut butter, water, and honey, and stir until you have a stiff dough. The dough becomes very firm and sticky. You may need to use your hands, or the paddle attachment on your mixer.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough about ½-inch thick and use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes. The treats barely spread and rise, so get creative with your shapes.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden. Once done, set aside to cool. (If you have smaller cookies, use less time, otherwise the bottom might burn.)
- To make the frosting, combine the peanut butter and honey in a microwavable bowl, and heat in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Add the melted peanut butter mixture to the corn-starch and stir until just combined.
- Slowly add in the water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have reached the consistency that you would like. For a thinner frosting, add more water.
Add the frosting to a piping bag and pipe designs on top of each dog treat.
Frost the treats with the peanut butter/honey mixture for an even more tempting cookie.